I usually make some rendition of a radicchio salad each year for Thanksgiving – it’s something different than your basic Caesar or mixed greens salad. Last year I added roasted delicata squash, but this year I opted to leave it out to keep it light and refreshing.
Radicchio Salad with Fennel, Pomegranate, Toasted Pistachio and Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 head radicchio, chopped
- 1/2 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 pistachios, toasted and chopped
- chopped parsley or frisée to top (optional)
- Citrus Vinaigrette to dress (served on the side or mixed in)
- To toast pistachios, spread as a single layer on a baking dish and roast in the oven at 325 degrees for 5-10 minutes until lightly toasted and fragrant. This can be tricky so watch them carefully! You can always pop them back in if they are not full toasted. Once cool, roughly chop them.
- In a large serving bowl, toss together chopped radicchio and thinly sliced fennel. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds, toasted pistachios, and chopped parsley on top. Season with salt and pepper and serve with Citrus Vinaigrette on the side.
- If you prefer to mix your dressing in before serving. Toss chopped radicchio and fennel with 1-2 tbsp dressing (add more if needed). Follow with step 2 to finish.
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup EVOO
- Using a zester, zest all of the citrus into a bowl. Halve the fruit and squeeze all the juice into the same bowl to get 2/3 cup juice (fish out the seeds).
- Whisk in honey, vinegar, 1 tsp salt and several twists of black pepper. Taste and adjust with more honey, vinegar, and salt and pepper, if needed, to make the flavor more vibrant.
- Whisk in EVOO a few drops at a time or put the juice mixture into a blender or food processor and drizzle in the oil while the machine is running. The machine method will make the vinaigrette creamier and emulsified (my preference).
- Makes 1 1/2 cup. Store in fridge for up to two weeks.