Socca has become a staple in our household this summer. It is literally the easiest thing to make and only requires 5 ingredients. It’s so simple the big guy will even make it. I love to use it like a flatbread and top it with season vegetables and a creamy sauce like the Green Goddess Tahini sauce below. Alternatively, it is great with poached eggs and greens for breakfast, cut into triangles and eaten with hummus or some other dip like a pesto or tapenade, or simple on it’s own with EVOO, salt and pepper. You might even be able to swap the nutritional yeast for a drop of stevia and slather it with nut butter and fresh berries for something sweet. The possibilities are endless!
- Feels like you’re eating gluten even though your not
- Plant-based protein
- Healthy fats
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 2 cup water (up to, use less for a thicker batter)
- 1 large tbsp avocado oil (don’t skimp on the oil – it keeps it from drying out)
- 1/2 tsp salt (I use pink himilayan)
- 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
- Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl. Whisk well and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Turn oven on to broil and put your cast iron pan in the oven to heat up for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and drizzle 1/2-1 tsp avocado oil in the pan. Spread evenly to coast the pan
- Pour 1/4-1/2 cup of batter onto pan and put in oven for 5-7 minutes until the top of it starts to lightly brown
- Remove pan from oven and move socca from skillet to drying rack to cool
- Continue steps 4 and 5 until all of your batter is gone.
Green Goddess Tahini
This is a super versatile recipe. I will make it and use it as a sauce or add water and lemon juice to thin it out and use it as a salad dressing. Perfect with roasted veggies, but I could also use this with wild fish, pasture-raised chicken or grass-fed meat.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup (small handful) parsley
- 1/4 cup (small handful) basil
- 3 sprigs chive
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 drop stevia (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender except stevia.
- Blend on high until well combines. Add more water if you want a thinner sauce or dressing.
- Taste and adjust ingredients and/or add stevia if necessary.